Section 45 of the Strata Schemes Management Act 2015 (NSW) provides five ways that an officer’s position can become vacant:
- Firstly, the person is no longer a member of the strata committee (for example if the officer has sold their lot in the strata scheme);
- Secondly, the person resigns after providing written notice;
- Thirdly, another strata committee member is appointed to that position by the strata committee;
- Fourthly, the owner’s corporation declares by special resolution that the position is vacant; and
- Lastly, the individual dies.
Therefore, there are two options to remove an officer. The first being that another person is appointed to the position by the strata committee (effectively replacing the existing officer), and the second being that the owner’s corporation votes to remove the individual at a general meeting.